02 June 2008

A Brucie bonus

Sanity’s Bruce had me reaching for the dictionary just now. There I was, reading his lovely, cosy cruise log and he hits me between the eyes with a ‘lagniappe’. A what I say? A lagniappe, he say, pronounced ‘lan-yap’.

“In this case I went for the second option, with the added lagniappe that there was a boat coming the other way, and Sheila had to hover on the offside whilst he went past with a heavy boat in a narrow channel (with all the effects that had on us) and then persuade Sanity to move into the slot without clouting either of our new neighbours.”

A lagniappe is defined thus:

1. Chiefly Southern Louisiana and Southeast Texas. a small gift given with a purchase to a customer, by way of compliment or for good measure; bonus.

2. a gratuity or tip.

3. an unexpected or indirect benefit.


He does a nice line in irony, does our Bruce.

2 comments:

Bruce in Sanity said...

Thanks for the compliment (and for all your previous ones indeed). In the circs, I won't object to you calling me "Brucie" though it's not my favourite diminutive!

To be modest, in my experience lagniappe is often used ironically in the States, so I can't claim to be being specially creative this time.

All the very best (and give the dogs a hug from me)

Bruce

Dogsontour by Greygal said...

Hi Bruce

All compliments fully deserved and dogs will be hugged as soon as the smell of pilchards is off their breath. I have been following your blog for yonks, and it's given me huge pleasure, so the thanks really are all on my side.

All the best

Greygal

P.S. Top marks for Sheila on demonstrating that us ladies can be quite nifty at the tiller too!