25 February 2009

Pennine plans

One of the things that I love about my hubby is that he’s a very trusting sort, quite happy to leave holiday planning to me and to only be informed - when it’s too late to change anything – exactly what I’ve got up my sleeve. In return, I try to be accommodating of his likes and dislikes while also catering for my own, of course. So for our first big holiday cruise of the year, penciled in for the beginning of June, I have been mindful of his preference for excellent scenery and the less busy waterways, and a definite predilection for the circular jaunt as opposed to the out and back. I have overlooked his fondness for lie-ins in favour of my desire for adventure and achievement so I’m just going to tell him that we’re doing a modest northern ring. I’ll omit the detail that we’re actually going to go up and over and around the Pennines via the Huddersfield Narrow and Rochdale canals and that he’ll have to put his back into about 7000 locks. Once we’re off, it’ll be too late!

4 comments:

Adam said...

I'm jealous now. I've been looking into doing this trip as we have three weeks in September, but our starting point is just too far away, and unpredictability of the route is such that I couldn't guarantee getting the boat back in time (and the next owners on board wouln't have been pleased). So for us this one will remain on the to do list.

Erin said...

Hi - Anj here from Serendipity. I have a quick question for you, I know from previous posts you & A are into geocaching. I have managed to get hubby and daughter interested in buying a GPS. Hubby by stating he will know how fast we are going. Something that matters very much to him !! and daughter because she loves treasure hunting. I have been on the web site and have been dumbfounded by choice. Now for the question - Which one do you use, and would you recommend it?

Dogsontour by Greygal said...

Adam, if you guys fancy a weekend in Manchester, you're very welcome - we've got a couple of spare windlasses!

Anj, I'd love to be able to give you a straightforward answer but the thing is, we use a variety of software on a variety of devices, rather than a dedicated GPS unit. A uses this on an Windows Mobile PDA - http://code.google.com/p/richesse-gps/ and it is excellent in terms of usability and accuracy. I use certain apps on a 3G iPhone - Geocaching and MotionX - and between us we've never been beaten! If you want a dedicated GPS unit, then Garmin appear to be the acknowledged market leaders. This is pricey but a bit of a beast - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-GMAP-60CSx-Handheld/dp/B000FMLUXY/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235581868&sr=8-22 but I'm quite sure their entry level units do more or less the same thing

Anonymous said...

Adam, I wonder if you could do one leg of your trip on Debdale and then just hitch lifts with your blogging friends to the rest of the frozen North. Sounds as if you'd be very welcome!
Sue
ps. we can say, with feeling, that crew of any sort is always welcome on the Huddersfield Narrow!
pps. Maybe someone should set a challenge to see how far they could traverse the country by hopping from one blogging boat to another....